Tuesday, January 6, 2015

WHOLE lotta love

I think there's a danger with the vegan diet, probably similar to a lot of diets, in that if you don't do it the way you're "supposed" to, it's just unhealthy. For example, you could eat loads of carbs all day, even if they are whole grain, and it wouldn't really be the kind of plant-based that's healthy as I see it. And you could eat salt & vinegar chips all day, still be vegan, but not be healthy. I think we all know that (as tastily addictive as they may be).

So I think I've maybe been eating too many grains. I've been luvin' the WHOLE grains, but maybe I'm getting too many of them. I'm not sure. That's one thing I'll need to check on. I figure I've got 5 food groups now.

  1. Vegetables
  2. Fruit
  3. Legumes
  4. Whole Grains
  5. Nuts and Seeds
And you know, that's potentially the order they should go in terms of quantity... I'll have to check. Maybe legumes should be before fruit... I don't know. The point is, you can eat a lot of whole wheat if you aren't careful. I figure I might need to start looking at (gulp) the green smoothie! (Eeks) Maybe that's one way I could get some veg into my quick morning routine. Stay tuned.

One thing that I noticed today was that I do feel a little lighter. Maybe not so bloated? And OE said he thought my skin looked like it was clearing. Not like I'm a pock-face normally, but he thought that it looked "clearer". So I figure that's good. I didn't really expect to see any changes for about 2 weeks... why? Well, because I'd heard that when you quit dairy (my sister's doctor told her), it takes about 2 weeks for the proteins to clear your body. One website I looked at said 3 - 4 weeks. I guess the changes will probably be gradual, at any rate. And if they are truly starting already, well, that's Day 6.

-VE

No comments:

Post a Comment