Thursday, January 8, 2015

Baby, it's cold outside

It's SOOO freaking cold outside today.  I don't even think it got up to freezing out there. It's bitter. And when it's cold outside, I want warm, comforting foods. Given the fact that I'm only 7 days into this shindig, the thought of a "cauliflower roast" still just doesn't cut it.

I kept remembering those ricotta stuffed shells I'd been tempted with a while ago. (Holy smokes, it wasn't even a week ago yet?!) Anyway, I kept remembering them and wondered how I could make a "ricotta" cheese that was vegan. Fortunately, Charlotte has a vegan restaurant nearby and a food delivery service. Why do I say that? Because when I read their menu items, I get ideas. And one of their menu items had a lasagna with a "white bean ricotta". That sounded do-able to me! So I looked online and found a "vegan ricotta" which included both white beans and tofu. Now, I don't like the look of tofu, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. So, I tried making it tonight and putting it into a lasagna with rice noodles (cause I couldn't find whole wheat lasagna noodles).

The results? Well, it was tasty! Both OE and my sister said that it was "definitely not a fail", which in my book, is pretty damn good when it comes to tofu! I don't think I put enough sauce in the mix so it ended up being a bit drier than I'd hoped, but I've done that with regular ol' lasagna sometimes, so I figure that's par for the course. I was pretty pleased with the result and started thinking of ways that I could make it even tastier... adding caramelized onion, mushroom, roasted garlic... lots of ways to add some more flavour!

I've taken a picture of it, but unfortunately this is after my sister shoved it into a tupperware container for leftovers...
so, it's not so appealing in the aftermath, but you get the idea. I'll also have to figure out my recipe and post it in the "recipes" section. How exciting!

Anyway, I'm pretty chuffed to bits (that's British for "proud") about that. YAY lasagna!

-VE

No comments:

Post a Comment