Friday, January 2, 2015

Addictions

Day 2 wasn't as bad as Day 1, but it had its moments. I won't say how, but I was mercilessly tempted with some very tasty looking ricotta stuffed pasta shells, some homemade macaroni and cheese, as well as some gooey brownies and soft-looking chocolate chip cookies. Some serious big-time comfort foods that just looked way to irresistible to resist. But, I did. YAY ME! It's those small victories, right? Whew.

So I was thinking a bit today about addictions. I read or saw somewhere (I'll have to find out where it was) that people can have food addictions that basically register activity in their brain similar to heroine addictions. Who would have thought? It makes sense, though... sometimes you feel like you've just got to eat something. Well, I do sometimes. It's a coping mechanism. And I imagine (because I really have no idea) that being addicted to a drug is very similar. Only, you have to eat food, and it somewhat surrounds you every single day of your life. I don't mean to say that drug addiction is easier to deal with (far from it!), what I'm saying is that food addictions aren't thought of in the same way or have the same type of taboos that drug addictions do. For example, if you're anything like me, you've sat around chatting with your girlfriends about how much cake you ate one night, or how you shouldn't have had that second helping of dessert, or how you stood at the food table all night at a party because at least you knew you wouldn't be bored, or boring. What? Is that just me?! Anyway... think if we switched food and drugs or alcohol in that situation. Alcohol might not be exactly the same, but I know my friends would do more than just raise an eyebrow if I said I'd practically overdosed at a party. Am I right?

I think this whole adopting a vegan diet is good for me to realize what I want from food. Am I seeking comfort or am I just looking to 'not be hungry'? At any rate, it's one day at a time. One decision at a time. I am already feeling like this is a tough but good choice for me. And I think that's saying something!

-VE


No comments:

Post a Comment