Wednesday, January 14, 2015

the devil is in the donuts

So I think I've been doing pretty well. 14 days in now and I've been able to keep away from the animal products. Tonight, however, was a test. Tonight my sister asked me to go to the grocery store and pick up some Krispy Kreme donuts for my niece's birthday at school tomorrow. And let me just say, HOLY freaking SMOKES.

I'm not actually a huge Krispy Kreme fan. (gasp! blasphemy!) Yes, there's that whole "hot donuts" sign and you get to have them all warm and gooey straight out of the oven, but in that way they are actually a bit too gooey for me. Too sweet. Maybe one bite and I'm fine, a few more and it's a bit too much. Not that it has ever stopped me from eating one, I dare say. I'll pound those down just like the next fat cat, but I can't say I loooooove them. But tonight? Tonight, even in their day-old, not-poppin-fresh state in the grocery store, they looked like sheer gold and I really wanted to cram one into my beak. I'm just being honest here. It was rough.

Fortunately, I didn't. And I'm going to stop thinking about it now and celebrate the fact that I'm doing a good job. I'm keepin it real and I'm making changes in my life that are going to help my health. Some day I'll be able to have one donut and it won't be a big deal. It will be a sometimes treat that I don't have very often. But I'm not there yet, not quite yet. And so today, I'll celebrate getting through today.

By the way, I've now added a few good cookbooks to the "cookbooks" section! They really are good recipes and I've been pretty pleased with the results, particularly because they don't rely on faux meat. Yeah, it's actually called "faux meat" in some other cookbooks. Are you kidding me?! Let's get real. Anyway, check 'em out!

-VE

No comments:

Post a Comment