Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Auld Lang Syne

It's the last day of 2014 and I've made a great effort at squeezing in the last of the dairy and meat that is in the house. I even managed to grab a few extra baked goods when I was at the grocery store... just for old times sake really, am I right?

This morning I went and got my blood drawn. It's always a little disconcerting for me when they draw my blood. I figure that I can do without what they've so carefully taken, but I also wonder what sort of shock and processes it sets off in my body. Surely it's not normal for that amount to so suddenly leave your body, and yet, it goes, and we don't seem to be any worse off. I know it's not that much, but it sure seems a lot. Particularly given how quickly it comes out. (Have you fainted yet?) Anyway, this time I was thinking about how I'll feel in about 3 months time when my blood is drawn again. Will it look any different? (No, I don't seriously think it will look different, but it would be a good story, wouldn't it?!)

I'm sure my blood is chocker-block full of cholesterol this morning. Last night, OE (the "Original Egan", aka my husband) and I went to Outback Steakhouse for dinner.

It's not our normal place to go out to eat but we got a gift card for Christmas and I figured we'd better make use of it now before it expires. (We just spent the last nearly 4 years living in Australia so the giftcard was a thoughtful nod to our second home!) OE has also decided that he's going to adopt a vegan diet for the next 3 months (and some people would say pigs are flying somewhere). He's adopting it for his tastes... the regular "flat whites" (think cappuccino but with a higher coffee to milk ratio) are going to remain dairy milk versions. I've moved from decaf skim lattes to almond milk hot chocolates. Surely my sugar content is going up, but our favorite coffee shop in Charlotte doesn't do decaf or skim, so I was in fact having regular 2% lattes. I tell myself that my move has potentially increased my sugar content but decreased both my caffeine and dairy. Chocolate has caffeine but we won't talk about that. Deal?

Today is also OE's birthday, so for his celebratory dinner, I've made my 'famous' cheesecake and my sister is making a Belgian beef stew. It's all animal, all the time tonight. Go out with a bang, right? I picked up another good cook book at the library today, The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon. I'm very excited about trying some of the recipes in there very soon!

So... with that... I'll say "see ya later" to 2014 and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my friends and family! Here's to an exciting adventure ahead in 2015!

-VE

No comments:

Post a Comment