Saturday, January 3, 2015

A bitter pill to swallow

Remember how I got a blood test on the 12/31/14? Well, I got the full test results back today.

Total Cholesterol:  231
HDL:  67
Triglycerides:  78
LDL:  148
Chol / HDLC ratio:  3.4
Non HDL Cholesterol:  164

Um, yeah. In case you weren't aware, that's not good. Your total cholesterol is supposed to be below 200, even better below 180, ideally below 150 (mine = 231). Your LDL is supposed to be at least below 130 (mine = 148).  Only a few points higher in the total cholesterol and I'd be a candidate for medication. I'm 40 years old. WTF. WTF. WTF.

I was hoping that I'd see some changes in my numbers at the end of this "experiment", and I assumed that my numbers to begin with wouldn't be great, but not outside normal ranges. I did not expect that I would actually need to do this experiment! I mean, seriously??!

I guess it's the best outcome - I mean, without doing this, I wouldn't have been aware that my cholesterol was creeping so high. And thus, I probably wouldn't have been taking drastic action to make some real lifestyle changes. So... that's good. But seriously.... what a bitter pill.

-VE

No comments:

Post a Comment